Gardner Muirhead was born in West Lothian in 1962. He graduated from Edinburgh College of Art with a degree in tapestry design in 1984. He also has a postgraduate degree from Jordanhill College of Education and has been a full time teacher of Art and Design in Glasgow since 1987.He has exhibited textiles, painting and printmaking in various shows in Edinburgh, Glasgow and Fife.
Inspired by regular trips to Germany ; his artwork concerns itself with, found imagery, colour, surface, balance and space, and reflects his love of modernism, typography, German cinema and Cold War aesthetics.
His most recent work is divided between making digital prints at Glasgow Print Studio and painting portraits from vintage photographs found in Berlin’s Mauerpark and Boxhanger Platz flea markets.
2017 – Group show – G31 Art Collective – Generator Projects , Dundee.
– Exhibited in ‘Sombre Sincerities’ – Group show – Bar Gandolfi, Glasgow.
– Co founded – The G31 Art Collective.
2016 – Exhibited in Annual Open Exhibition , Royal Glasgow Institute of Fine Art.
– Contributed to Mixed Show – June , Fidra Fine Art, North Berwick, East Lothian.
2015 – Exhibited Edinburgh Art Fair – with Sutton Gallery, Dundas st , Edinburgh.
– Solo exhibition ‘Leitmotif’ – Sutton Gallery, Dundas st. Edinburgh.
2014 – Solo Exhibition – St Monan’s Art festival.
– Group show – ‘Buchleuch St’ – Mansfield Park gallery , Hyndland , Glasgow.
2013 – Solo Exhibition – Tibo Restaurant , Duke st , Glasgow.
2011 – Group show, ‘In Japan’- Royal Scottish Academy, The mound , Edinburgh.
2010 – ‘Travelogue’, Solo Exhibition – Cookie Gallery restaurant , Glasgow.